After an accident, make sure that you:
- Complete the European Accident Statement.
If you are unable to do so because this is not the practice in the country concerned (e.g. the UK), make sure that you note:
– the other driver’s name and contact details
– the registration number
– information about the insurer
– witnesses’ names and contact details
– and, if possible, take photographs.
- Warn your insurer as soon as possible or contact the Bureau of the country where the accident occurred.
Don’t forget that 0800 numbers cannot be called from a foreign country so make sure that you have a ten-figure number starting with 01, 02, 03, 04 or 05, which can be used from abroad (preceded by +33).
- Note the other party’s registration number in case of hit and run.
File a complaint with the local police authorities and keep the original complaint document.
- Have medical certificates drawn up speedily, even if the injuries are minor.